Friday, October 7, 2016

Biro drawing at An Seabhac, the wine bar in Rathkeale


An Seabhac - 26 October 2001

Another one found when I was having a declutter. Gosh, I have so much work that I've forgotten about ... but as this is in one of my hardback sketchbooks, it won't be sold on. 

A biro is a cheap ball-point pen, I'm not sure if the word is used widely outside of Ireland.

'An Seabhac' is the Irish for 'The Hawk', and was apparently the code name for local commander of the old IRA in the early part of the 20th century, not to be confused with the thugs, drug-dealers, bank robbers, pimps and child traffickers who call themselves the IRA today. 

It was also the name of this legendary tiny wine bar in the town of Rathkeale, County Limerick, where we spent many, many Friday nights enjoying the music and the lovely food. 

No comments: