Friday, September 2, 2016

Palermo Sea Front with 5 figures


I really liked Palermo. Particularly the boardwalk/park set-up near the harbour with the huge ceramic things that were more like beds than benches, and were half the city would come for the running in the early evening. Lots of people stretching, sitting, relaxing, moving. Many with their dogs and kids as well. 

What is it about some places that they take such a hold on your imagination? Many Italians from the north of the country told me that I shouldn't bother with Sicily, or anyplace south of Rome, but honestly, of the mainland cities I liked Naples the best, and if I were to return to Italy any time soon, I'd go to Sicily again. I've said it in previous blogs that Palermo has a particular energy, like it was built over a strongly beating black heart that vibrates up through the buildings. It has so many different architectural styles, you go around a corner and there's a fabulous Baroque church front, or a Norman castle, or you're into a souk-like warren of streets. 

I did like other parts of Sicily that we visited, there were some lovely places along the south coast that I'd like to visit again, and a few places that we missed, like Marsala, and Siracusa. And I wouldn't mind seeing more of the islands as well. 

No comments: