Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Two watercolour landscapes of Sicily

Normally when on holiday I tend to sketch the people, but the landscape of Sicily kind of got under my skin. It's pretty amazing. I got some photos, but my partner Dolf got many more, and much nicer. And he's the photographer in this house, that's for sure.

Prickly Pears, viewed from the patio of the Agriturismo place we stayed very near the village of Joppolo, which is quite close to Agrigento. I believe prickly pears are considered an invasive species, but you can eat the fruit, it's supposed to be very sweet and good. I was kind of fascinated by these plants. 


Sicily has loads of ancient ruins, and Segesta was the first lot we visited. It's located on two adjacent hills - one has the ancient Greek Temple, now with fencing around it because after nearly two millennia it's a bit unsteady, and on the opposite hill are the remains of a city, currently being excavated, and a Greek amphitheatre, with the most wonderful view of the valley below as the backdrop to the stage. Definitely worth visiting. 

No comments: