Thursday, January 9, 2014

Some details of the big painting

I've received some requests to post up some more detailed bits of my enormous painting Truth Universally Acknowledged, so here are a couple of them.


This detail includes a quote in the very middle there from the late Maeve Binchy's novel Scarlet Feather. One of the reasons why I like her work so much is because of the dialogue. Apparently Maeve Binchy liked to listen into strangers' conversations on public transport, and had an ear for a particular turn of phrase. The text in the two upper corners are collages of newspapers, probably the County version of the Limerick Leader


Another bit - and I really had to do the Photoshop thing to get the actual colours again, which was odd, but however - another collage from the newspaper, and then a quote in pencil 'must be {...} want of a'.  This is the quote from Jane Austen that I used to give the painting its name: 'It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife', which is the opening sentence to the classic Pride & Prejudice

I also used quotes from Marian Keyes, Guus Meeuwis who is a Dutch songwriter, and a traditional Irish song. 

It's a big painting. If anyone wants to actually take this thing off my hands and off my kitchen wall, please come with lots of money, as artists DO have bills to pay.

And bring a big van. This thing is BIG. 

Please visit my tumblr page and my facebook page. 

No comments: