Monday, July 1, 2013

One I'm finally pleased with ....


Entitled In The Pub, and from a sketch.

It took me AGES to figure out why I didn't like it. I was trying to improve the background, highlight the colours, tweak the skin tones, so again, I put it away for a bit and when I took it out I saw immediately that the background was cluttering it up - it's a small one, only 40 x 40 cm, so there really isn't room for clutter.

I've also spent the past couple of hours searching out images for the last few of the Street Party series of paintings, photographing some of the more recently finished ones, and looking over ones I had put away because I couldn't figure out what it was that was so disturbing about them. (And what was disturbing about them? That's for the next blog.) Plus I needed to find canvases I could use, and I'm still not sure if I have all of the images I want to include in this series, I think I do.

I realise also that I have access to so many images of Gay Pride parades and the various drag artists I know, that that's really going to be another series of paintings - and as I write, this is news to me also!!!! Feck!!!! Wouldn't it be interesting to get shots of them getting ready. Hm. I think part of it is my desire to explore this particular transformation .... because it's turning yourself into something you aren't, and yet something that is so you to the core. I suppose all I can do is ask nicely, and offer to make them dinner or something. And maybe give them some art in return.

So, this week, I'm going to work on two more Street Party pieces, and then leave that. Work on pictures of the cats.

I want to go out and sketch again. I recently went into an art supply shop to buy face paints, and of course came out with a few more things besides, including some rather interesting charcoals for drawing, oh boy. Now I want to go off and draw lots ....



No comments: