Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Old Gate Lodge near Ballingarry

I needed to work on this painting again, I just wasn't happy with it. For some reason it wasn't working for me.

I think it was the old Gate Lodge to a local big house, but I'm not sure. It's certainly picturesque, if a bit overgrown there now. Might even have been a chapel, I suppose I should ask around.



I can think of 4 derelict buildings like this in the vicinity of my own house: the old forge at the end of the road, this gate house/chapel, and another mansion that the owners have left fall into ruin simply because they didn't want to pay the taxes on it, and an old farmyard that might be habitable if it were cleaned up. I find it very sad that it's actually cheaper to build a new house than it is to restore an old house and add a new twist to it. Most new houses I see today I'd run over with a bulldozer in a heartbeat, they're that ugly. But anyway ....

This painting actually needs a box frame around it, so after I've paid a few bills I'll take it to a framers and see what they can do with it. And I'll bring it to one of two galleries for display and sale. Will keep you posted.

No comments: