Tuesday, April 9, 2013

More on Papergirl

I just thought I'd share this, seeing as I mentioned it in my previous post: Papergirl. To provide some background to it, here is the Papergirl Wikipedia Page. And the next deadline is very soon, 15 April to be precise, and is in Estonia.

I like the idea, mainly because at the moment I'm a bit pissed off about the gallery situation. It seems that in Ireland, there are no big commercial galleries taking on work. I suppose that the habitual buyers of art are still not buying like they used to, and I can relate ... but still. Not being able to move stuff on has the knock-on effect of making you reluctant to make more work if you can't store it, and if you don't keep yourself busy and focused on your materials, you aren't keeping the art muscles flexed.

Galleries have overheads, and can pick and choose. Many have told me that they love my work, they get it, but that most buyers don't. However, one of the jobs of galleries is to EXPLAIN the work, and HELP potential buyers understand it ... this is why they get that commission.

But back to the concept of Papergirl. I like that it's not curated, not gallery-focused, but very much art for everyone. I'm not about sticking two fingers at the galleries - no. I want to get my work out there. And this is one way .... it won't make me any money, but I'm not making any money on the art now anyway. But I will gain some storage space.

So I'll go off and get a few pieces and send them on. Can't hurt.

No comments: