Monday, February 11, 2013

Travel, drawing and taking pictures

I know you can take a photo when you travel, and capture the memories that way, but I do like drawing. Plus it does get me talking with people I meet there who are curious about what I'm doing and that's kind of nice. 

This one is a sketch at a cafĂ© in Venice, from 2008. I look at the arm on the figure on the left and think ugh - it looks more like spaghetti than a man's arm, especially in contrast to the figures in the drawing below. 


Pretty sure this is from Lisbon, near the Belem tower. I was delighted that the guy in profile did not notice me until after I had caught his foreshortened arm. 

It was brought to my attention recently that digitising everything means there is a very real risk that much information will be lost in years to come. Social networking sites are of this generation, but the question arises of what happens to someone's personal profile after they die, and what happens to their photographs. Most people don't bother making prints of photographs anymore, all images are posted online, it's much faster to share them that way. So once you die, what happens to your Facebook profile? Is it deleted? And if so, does this mean that all photographs and records relating to you are gone? 

What does this mean for historians? Archivists? Biographers? In a way I'm glad I have the physical drawings of my paintings, they are likely to survive if anything were to happen to me. Okay, so they aren't a record of a place or people in it, more my memory of the experience there, but even so. They are proof at least that I was there. In case anyone asks. 

But if the Internet were to crash tomorrow, a lot of information would be lost. Not that it's likely to be totally destroyed, it's far too useful to too many people and institutions, but even so, it would be really inconvenient. But without information, you don't exist. 

Time to do another back-up, I think. 

No comments: