Friday, February 1, 2013

Randomness ... photos, drawings and legendary rain


This is Charlie. He is a ginger tomcat and aged about a year and a half. He's hilarious. This is a really lucky one-of-a-kind shot I got of him playing with a pink cat boa in a cardboard box. See, I'm starting to get the hang of this camera ....



This is from the Sketchbook project I did a couple of years ago. I'm kind of interested in restoration. This watercolour piece is a detail of a building very near my house. Which kind of leads me to this one:


This is a pencil sketch I did in about 2001 or 2002, or Curraghchase House, in County Limerick. It's a beautiful ruined manor set in parkland, and is currently owned by the Irish state. I personally find it very sad that such a lovely building would be allowed to rot, but there you go. Like many of the great Irish houses, there are literary associations. Read the link to find out more.

Yes, this is a random kind of posting. But it's the first day of spring, and there's even - gasp - sunshine. For those of you in very warm countries, please bear with me - where I live, in Ireland, we get more rain than sunshine. We get a lot of rain all year round. The weather is a constant topic of conversation. And then when we go to other parts of the world, where rain is unusual, and sunshine prevalent, we get funny looks when we say 'isn't it a lovely day?' When the thermometer hits 20 degrees Celsius, people in Ireland tend to go on about how 'hot' it is.

I'm really pleased that my first spring flowers are coming out of the ground, my little crocuses. Always nice to see. It also means that I need to get moving on other things in my garden, so I have some work to do outside this afternoon - hopefully the legendary rain will hold off.


No comments: