Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New media, new approach, new challenge

I had this idea to put together a slide show that would incorporate my paintings with a verbalised train of thought going through it, sort of like a monologue in a play. Only it's driving me nuts.

I can't stand what I come up with. It just sounds like a rehash of the artist's statement .... or else preachy and frankly all boring and snooze-inducing.

Now I'm thinking, well, could I incorporate something else into there, like a story?

The problem is I'm so inundated with thoughts at the minute, that I'm finding it hard to sort them all out into something that would work. The irony is that this is what my body of work of painting is actually about - each painting is a snapshot of a moment that's NOT posed, but observed, and cutting out everything around it. Putting them back together is like repopulating a stage full of players - oh hello Mr Shakespeare, I thought you'd make an appearance.

I'm not sure that this will work. But I'd like to try it because it might be a way of getting works shown in art galleries in other countries without actually having to go to the expense of sending works there - I don't want to spend money I don't have.

But I suppose all I can do is keep making notes and sifting through the thoughts and seeing if something coherent yet interesting that people can relate to comes up.

In the meantime I'll just keep on working on paintings and writing that novel.

And here's a watercolour drawing I did in Paris on our last day there. Good times. 

No comments: