Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I think I need to filter ....

Yesterday I blogged about how difficult it is to find something text-wise, something coherent and not preachy, to work into a slide show of my paintings.

I just get caught up on reading articles online, and on various topics. Today, of course, it's all about the report on the Magdalen Laundries - a very shameful part of the history of Ireland - and a bit about cyberbullying. (The temptation now is to digress and go into how my other half was accused of cyberbullying when the accuser was the bully, as the e-mails will show. But I won't.) And about women looking for men they had met but whose names they never got. And memes. Some memes are just brilliant. But it's all cotton wool as far as finding what I need is concerned.

I think I'm going to have to go back to books I've read, with quotes I can use. I must look into how long copyright lasts with writers, I know I can use Jane Austen's works, but I'd like to use other writers too.

Part of the problem is that I am a) aware that other people, potential viewers, have different experiences to me, and therefore different knowledge and memories, and this does add an edge to the thing, because b) they might not 'see' what I want them to see; c) I'm not even sure myself what I 'want' them to see; d) I want to take the 'want' out of the equation completely.

And then I am reminded that my work is not considered 'commercial'.

Well, it isn't commercial, in the sense that it isn't the average chocolate-box cover type of art. Nor do I go for pretty, saccharine pictures of children - I actually find that kind of thing creepy and disturbing, unless they are one's own children and the paintings also commemorate a particular family event.

Nor do I really like doing paintings of things like musicians, at a particular point I realised that this is a saturated market. The last painting of musicians I ever made is in a former convent in the town I grew up in.

I occasionally do a landscape study, it's a nice exercise. I'd like to do more still lifes, they are always fun too. I've seen some wonderful still life pieces on various art websites.

Oops. I didn't mean to get into a self-indulgent rant. I was only actually taking a break from painting, to let the acrylic paint dry. No, with regard to my slide-show projects, I think I'll go back to literature. For now.

And speaking of still life studies, here are some from my 2001 sketchbook. I was very big into ultramarine at the time ... and salads, as it happens.

Tomato section, gouache

Pumpkin, gouache

Pumpkin, pencils

Tomatoes and a blue plate, gouache

No comments: