Tuesday, November 13, 2012

People in Paris

I was going to entitle this blog 'Scenes from Paris' but then everyone would be expecting pictures of the Eifel Tower and what have you, and I have never photographed the tower during any of my visits to Paris. In fact, the second time I went to Paris, which was in February 2003, I didn't go anywhere near the Eiffel Tower.

But I always seem to go to Montmartre and I don't know why. I suppose it is simply my favourite part of the city to visit, and the last time we were there, Dolf and me, we stayed closer to Pigalle than Montmartre, and the Moulin Rouge was down the street. The thing about Montmartre is that loads of artists hang out there and sell their work and try to get commissions for portraits. A lot of the work I've seen there is really good, and I saw a couple that I would have liked to have been able to buy. I need a bigger house. And less clutter.

And I did a few things of my own. Sketches of people painted up. I did a lot of those in Paris, it's a city that really appreciates the more traditional approach to art. Not saying that they aren't progressive or anything, Paris does have the Pompidou Centre after all, but they have an understanding and appreciation of the craft of making art that many hifalutin' galleries seem to no longer have time for, as they are very keen to be seen as progressive.



Both of these are linked with Montmartre. When you're climbing up towards the cathedral of Sacre Coeur on top of the Butte, you can take the scenic route of the steps (at the narrow sections, watch out for the Romany kids trying to scam you. Don't stop for them. Say 'NO' and keep walking) or you can take the funicular railway. I took the steps and took my time. Ah, Paris. The city of lights, where modern art was born. And probably where it died as well. 

No comments: