Thursday, June 21, 2012

Nenagh and Stradbally

Today I had the car, so I went off to visit two arts spaces I'd been curious about. One was in Nenagh in County Tipperary, the other was in Stradbally, County Laois.

The Nenagh one turned out to be in a theatre, in a building that had been renovated during the boom, and many cool original features were retained - I love that. The story is that there won't be any theatre performances during August, but the people running the centre want the space to be used, so they are holding a group exhibition and selecting artists for it. I left them a disc and my contact details, and if they invite me to participate, I will.

The other space in Stradbally County Laois is for visual art, with studios and a kiln, apartments for artists, an office, and exhibition spaces. It's in the town's old courthouse, and the building has been very cleverly renovated and extended around a pretty courtyard. The old cells had been converted into visitors' toilets! There's also an Art Library present, which I didn't see, but I will next time. It's one of the nicest dedicated art spaces I've seen for a long time, and something of a surprise too. I left them a disc as well.

No comments: